Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Passings - Kim Manners

Mo Ryan at the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Supernatural director and executive producer Kim Manners passed away on Sunday.

'Supernatural' loses its 'patriarch' | The Watcher

Series creator Eric Kripke released this statement through Warner Bros. Television:
Everyone at 'Supernatural' is walking around in a daze, shocked and absolutely devastated. Kim was a brilliant director; more than that, he was a mentor and friend. He was one of the patriarchs of the family, and we miss him desperately. He gave so much to 'Supernatural,' and everything we do on the show, now and forever, is in memory of him.
Kim Manners describing his role on Supernatural:
I took over for David Nutter, when David left the pilot. Now that I'm here, I'm working with Eric (Kripke) and Bob (Singer). I'm directing. I'm giving the show a certain look. I'm the guy who works with the guest directors (as we call them). I make sure I talk to them, go through their homework with them, scout locations with them, help them cast. So yeah, there are certain advantages to having a producing director on a show.
The photo above is from the set of the Season 1 epi Scarecrow.  Below are a few clips of his handywork, from some of my favorite episodes.  

Shadow 1.16



Devil's Trap 1.22



In my Time of Dying 2.01



Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things 2.04



Lazarus Rising 4.01

No comments: