Thursday, January 22, 2009

My celebrity chef boyfriend. Sigh.

Chewing the Fat: No Reservations' Anthony Bourdain - DCist: Washington DC News, Food, Arts & Events

As if I couldn't possibly love Anthony Bourdain more.  From the DCist interview:
Would you want to do a country-specific exploration show, like the Spain - On the Road show featuring Chef Mario Batali, cookbook writer Mark Bittman and Gwyneth Paltrow?
I would love to do something with Mario. It's been an unrealized ambition to produce a show for Mario, honestly. He's so smart. The guy knows so much. He's easily the funniest and smartest celebrity chef out there. The Spain show. I'm disappointed. After seeing the Spain show, I see room for improvement. Life is good for Mario, he's got life by the tail. It was probably a lot of fun for him to make that show and not too demanding of his time. But I would very much like to produce a show where he tells us everything he knows about Italy. I think that would be good and informative television. I just don't know if he wants to put in the time commitment given all the businesses he has.

Okay, I'll just say it. I think the Spain show is f***ing awful. Mark Bittman comes off unsympathetic to say the least. Bringing someone who cannot or will not eat jamon [Gwyneth Paltrow] to Spain is a misjudgment. My crew grinds their teeth with rage looking at the crummy production values. Bad camera work, bad sound, bad direction. The whole thing sucks. It's unfortunate. It's mesmerizingly awful
And by "misjudgement" I'm sure he really means, "EAT THE FUCKING HAM, BITCH!!"

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I first read about the infuriating Batali/Paltrow combo a few months ago in Bon Appetit magazine and it truly upset me. Gwyneth was going on about how great the show would be and all I kept thinking was, BUT SHE WON'T EAT JAMON, I KNOW SHE WON'T! WHY, MARIO? WHY? See, Mario's one of my celebrity chef boyfriends and this hurt. Still does, in fact.

Btw, wow. That bone is really... something.