Saturday, December 13, 2008

That was trippy

Watching the clip from my last post, I was reminded of something I overheard the other night.  I was on my way into Best Buy (to buy rabbit ears to make the teevee work.  Stop.  Judging.), and I overheard this kid describing the overdose scene in Pulp Fiction to a bunch of his friends.   He was going on and on about how great it was.  As if they'd never seen it.

Seriously?

I had to text NoShowMo to confirm the date, and make sure I hadn't experienced some sort of temporal time shift or worm hole while on the metro.

Because the movie came out almost 15 years ago.  It seems like one of those things that's just now part of the collective consciousness.  The same way that even if you've never seen the movies, you know that Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Bruce Willis is dead.  

Oops.  Spoiler alert.  But not.  That's my point.

Anyhoodle, don't tell me the scene is good.  I buy the fucking syringes.  I don't need you to tell me how good the scene is.




And this too, because Vincent's reaction is just so nonplussed.


2 comments:

gmac said...

Collective conscious is not as "collective" as we think, I think. Case in point, I brought my friend Tina - a MAJOR movie buff who even took film courses in school - to see Empire Strikes back and she GASPED, literally GASPED, when Darth Vader revealed he was Luke's father. Her shock was so pronounced I thought she was joking. Nope. Somehow she had remained ignorant of the Star Wars story - despite her love of film and her friendship with me. This was in 1997. I don't know how people get through life like that but they do.

daddylikeyblog said...

Eeeeeeeppppp nonplussed!