Friday, February 13, 2009

British Friday - You Best Step Off My Girl Edition

My love for the Posh is well documented.  And now, word is that the Beckhams are planning to leave the U.S. and return to Europe.  Not quite two years after signing with the LA Galaxy, negotiations are underway for Becks to join AC Milan.  

According to this Reuters article (via Yahoo!News), their departure is being greeted with a general yawn by the rest of Hollywood.
Household names in Britain and the rest of Europe, the Beckhams struggled to translate their appeal to star-heavy Los Angeles.  Victoria Beckham's passion for high heels and tight black dresses were at odds with LA's laid-back flip flops and sweatpants.

Bonnie Fuller, former editor of Us Weekly, said she loved Posh, 34, and her style, but felt the average American did not relate to the former "Spice Girls" singer.

"She didn't have enough hair," Fuller said of Victoria's Beckham's short mane, which she cropped further last year.

"American women are big hair girls. They want celebrities with long, sexy hair which they can aspire to. Posh is also superglam most days, all day, and American women relate much more to Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie's uniform of jeans, T-shirts and sexy little sweaters."
You know what Bonnie Fuller?  You need to step the fuck off.  Seriously, I'm taking my earrings off.  I am not playing with you.

First of all?  Don't get me started on the hair thing.  Are you high?  

Secondly, I personally don't want my stars to be Just Like Us.  I adore that Posh is completely over the top, and ultra glam (although she rocks the boyfriend jeans too), and is totally a character living out her own inner screenplay.   I don't want to relate to her.  I want to live vicariously through her absurd life and imagined conversations with Karl Lagerfeld.  I want to look at red carpet pho-toes of her and think, "Oh Posh.  You've done it again, you little minx".

Not, "She's wearing her dress backwards.  That's original.  I used to do that in high school."

I also love that she has both a sense of humour and self awareness.  She knows that her job is to be Victoria Beckham.  As she told Harpers Bazaar:
If I go to the supermarket looking like shit, that affects my work. I am selling an image.
Gods damn right!

So farewell Posh.  Float above the haters because they just don't matter.  You are MAH-JAH!


No comments: