Thursday, October 1, 2009

U2 at FedEx Field - September 29, 2009

This was my first time seeing U2, and they did not disappoint. If I'd known they were that good live, I would have paid the big bucks to see them years ago!

They're traveling with this redonk 164-foot stage setup that apparently takes three days to break down and set up.  It's called "The Claw".


And here's what The Claw looks like when it's awake.


The video screen was expandable, which created a cool effect ... too bad that when fully extended it obscured what little view we had of the band ...


Since we were sitting way the hell up at the top of the stadium.  


But who cares?  Our tickets were FREE!  It was a beautiful night shared with a dear friend ...


Isn't she photogenic?  She would also like to know if you've seen this boy ...


I'm going to make a bold statement, and say they may be the greatest rock band performing on the planet today.  I reserve the right to amend my opinion after I see Springsteen in November.


SET LIST:

Breathe
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (snippet)
Elevation
Your Blue Room
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
New Year's Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
The Unforgettable Fire
Mofo (snippet) / City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Walk On

ENCORE: 
One / Amazing Grace (snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender

The stand out moments for me were:

Still Haven't Found, when Bono suddenly let the crowd take over the first stanza, with 80,000+ singing their hearts out ... at least until we got to the second stanza and nobody could remember the kissing of honey lips.  Our bad.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, which was recast here as an anthem for the Iranian democracy protestors.  At one point Bono pulled some dude up on stage and wrapped him up in an American flag.  The guy did what any of us would have, and jumped around gleefully, not believing his good luck.  Dance on, good sir.

One / Amazing Grace / Streets, just because. 

I was a little disappointed there was no Pride (In the Name of Love).  And even though I didn't think they would play it, I was still hoping for an I Will Follow.  All in all, a good mix of the old and new.

All of my snaps were taken from my phone.  I took FedEx at their word, and didn't want to risk trying to take my camera in.  -1 to me for being such a baby, although it wouldn't really have mattered, given where our seats were.  Once the show started, I was a little glad of not having the camera.  Sometimes I feel like I'm experiencing life through a digital filter.  I have to remind myself to actually enjoy the moment, rather than get so involved in trying to document it.

Fortunately, lots of other people did bring cameras into the show.  For photos from the show that are far better than mine, check out spiggycat , alykat, and Brandon Wu's photostreams on Flickr.

No comments: