Friday, August 7, 2009

Passings: John Hughes

UPDATED AGAIN!: NPR has a brief interview with Alison, talking about her relationship with John Hughes.

UPDATE: You need to read this tribute to John Hughes RIGHT NOW.  For two years, 1985 - 1987, he and Alison Byrne Fields were pen pals.  Her story reads like something out of one of his movies, only so much better.






News comes that  John Hughes has died of a heart attack at 59.

Prolific as a writer and producer, he directed his last film in 1991.  But he ruled the 80's.  He defined that decade's (okay, my) teenage experience in a way that was funny, smart, and thoughtful.  I'd go so far as to say that Buffy Summers and Veronica Mars wouldn't have been possible without him.

Somewhere in heaven the angels are saying, "Hey sexy girrrrrlfriend!"






Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.




Andi totes should have been with Duckie.   I never quite understood why she was the outcast.  I would have killed for her clothes.  The prom dress not so much, but still.  Also, I had her hair.  I gave myself the home perm.



Does Barry Manilow know you raid his closet?



My best friend Becca and I were obsessed with this movie.   I think I still have the soundtrack on cassette somewhere ...


And he actually ended up with the right girl! 



But the ultimate, ZOMG, is 16 Candles.  Not only is it chock full of classic lines and moments, but it's like, about my life.

Although sadly, I did not end up with the hot senior I was in lurve with when I was a sophomore.


Sixteen Candles - Final Scene - Movie Ending - The best video clips are right here

1 comment:

NoShowMo said...

Some Kind of Wonderful was THE BEST. Well, when we were in high school