Sunday, August 16, 2009

In my next life, I want to be a set decorator for a genre show

Amy Wells has one of the coolest jobs EVER.


She's the set decorator for Mad Men (Season 3 premieres tonight on AMC).  It's her job to make sure the background details are true and authentic, from the upholstery and appliances to the gum under the desks.

The detail that people went through in those days was just so well worth it. I mean, when I look at it, I just - I really appreciate it ... I think it's those details in life that make life more interesting. It seems like everything is so homogenized and bland compared to how it used to be.

I don't envy her production schedule, or the resulting stress, but the idea of spending my days scouring thrift stores or pouring over old catalogs for inspiration?  Sign me up!

No comments: