Tuesday, August 4, 2009

This one goes to one hundred



Musician Brodie Cumming has put together a pretty amazing medley of 100 well known and influential guitar riffs. I am appalled - appalled - to say that I could only positively identify 41 of them. There were another 13 that I recognized but couldn't name, and then 46 that I just had no clue. You will be shocked, I'm sure, to discover that I'm not very well versed in the works of Pantera, Motorhead, Judas Priest, or Dokken.  I also whiffed on the Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen.  Brian L., wherever you are, I am deeply, deeply sorry.  

I also discovered that I don't know the actual names of any Led Zeppelin songs, although I instantly knew that's what they were.  

Check out Brodie's website for a list of all the songs.  He loves him some Van Halen and Zeppelin, but you know, who doesn't?   Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen are geniuses.  Geniuii?  I was a little disappointed that Heart's "Barracuda", ZZ's "La Grange", and "Satisfaction" weren't included.  But props for including Living Colour.  

Previously on wax|wendy: Meet the Hera to all these gods.

No comments: